Smoke Fountain Photography 101
Ever wonder how your favorite Instagrammers or Bloggers are adding fun blasts of colored smoke to their photos? They're using smoke fountains!
Smoke fountains can be used in many ways:
- Baby Gender Reveals and Announcements
- Wedding and Engagement Photoshoots
- Creative Art, Lifestyle, and Fashion Photography Shoots
- Instagram and Social Media Special Effect Backdrops
- Birthdays and Special Events
- Used As Flares for Safety Kits
When we use smoke fountains, we use them for the color they provide. We love the haze that surrounds us and the billowing plumes. There will be days that it’s advised not to use them like when it’s really windy or very dry out.
While smoke fountains look fairly easy to use, they can be a little bit dangerous and messy when not used correctly. Here, we’ll go over the basics of how to use smoke fountains to add a colorful burst to your photos and events.
Make Sure The Conditions Are Right
There will be days that it’s advised not to use them like when it’s really windy. Honestly, even a slight wind can the smoke in an undesired way. If it's very dry out, make sure to have water close by.
Techniques During The Shoot
- Have the subject walk with the smoke trailing behind them. Once the have moved the smoke enough, have them walk back through for full smoke photo effect.
- If you have an extra hand, have them walk around the subject with the smoke fountain.
- If the smoke fountain is staying in place, you can have a fan available to try and direct the smoke.
The primary concerns are explosions/burns, stains, fire, and inhalation/smell. More of each of these below.
- Explosions/Burns: While it is unlikely that a smoke fountain will explode, it can happen. This is possible when too much moisture gets inside the tube, thus clogging the pathway for the smoke’s expulsion. When this happens, it can cause a smoke fountain to combust. There is a way to tell if your smoke fountain could potentially have this issue. If it fails to emit plumes shortly after the fuse has burnt, this could indicate that there is a clogging issue relating to moisture inside the cylinder. In the event this happens, move away from the smoke fountain and allow it to burn itself out.
- Regarding burns: It is advised not to hold them and one understands they do so at their own risk. If you choose to hold them, place your hand as low to the base as possible. They burn top to bottom and the base will be the coolest spot.
- Fire: Once a smoke fountain has burnt out, dispose of it responsibly and carefully. Do not use smoke fountains in overly dry fields, forests, or buildings with a lot of flammable components. Once the fountain has burnt out, immediately dump water into the tube. This will make the bomb safe to dispose of in a trashcan.
- Inhalation/Smell: The smoke is often very thick and can irritate the eyes and throat of some people. The smell of the smoke can also stay in your hair and clothes much like can happen when eating at a restaurant or bar that allows patrons to smoke cigarettes.
Anyone can create magical photos with smoke fountains! Get creative and show us what you got!!
You can purchase your own smoke fountains here :)
Leave a comment